Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2007

CORRECTION

Sometimes something can be staring you right in the face
and you still can’t see it.


I posted the entry about my maternal grandparent’s divorce
and included the jpeg of the actual divorce decree and then I
went off to the Laundromat for my weekly visit. It was just
after I’d moved my clothes from the washers to the driers
and was watching my clothes whirl around that I sudddenly
realized: I’d gotten it wrong.


My grandfather had not divorced my grandmother.

She had divorced him.


There it was, right in black and white and I hadn’t gotten it
right. It doesn’t really change anything, of course, although
it had to have made things even more difficult for Aggie. Bad
enough to be a divorced Irish Catholic woman in the 1930’s,
but to be the one who filed for divorce in the first place?
There would have had to have been repercussions not only
with the family but with the Church as well.

So. in the interests of fairness, I’m correcting the mistake in
the original post.

Edward Francis White Sr. might have deserted his wife and
two children in the height of the Great Depression but he did
not divorce his wife.

No comments: