Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007

BLOGGING BRUNCH4

I’ve been busy adding Ellingwood and Barrows cousins to my
family tree the last few nights. A good friend of mine is very ill
and since she lives far away all I can do is keep a good thought
and pray for her. I’m in no state of mind to be too creative so
entering names and dates provides a bit of a distraction for me.


I’ve also been reorganizing my browser bookmarks. The list of
links dealing with genealogy has grown so much I finally made a
separate folder for them. While doing that I realized that I didn’t
have a link on the blog for Chris Dunham’s Genealogue, so I fixed
that oversight as well.


There’s been a discussion going on about the terms “genealogist”
and “family historian” and which one best applies to what many
of us are doing. It started at Schelly Talalay Dardashti’s blog,
Tracing the Tribe and then continued on Jasia’s Creative Gene,
Chris Dunham’s The Genealogue and footnoteMaven’s blogs. As
usual, a lot of good thoughtful writing.


After reading them, I’ve decided I fall under the category Jasia
calls “geneahistorian”: I search for people to add their names and
dates to my family tree but I also look for and write about the
events of their lives. It reflects how I’ve always viewed history in
general, with the emphasis on “story”.

No comments: