Pages

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

GENEALOGY IS MURDER

As I’ve mentioned before, when not wracking my brain for
anther genealogy use for a flutaphone, I work as a bookseller
at the local location for a national bookstore chain. From time
to time I’ll be posting something about books I’ve seen or
read that relate to genealogy.


So how about a little mystery?


I was walking past the new paperbacks table and the title of
one of the new books caught my eye: Sins of the Fathers
by Patricia Sprinkle. A quick glance at the description
on the back cover told me the book is the second in a new
series of mysteries involving genealogy and family history.
The first book is entitled Death on the Family Tree.


I want to find the first book before I buy the second, but it
does look interesting. I'll let you all know what I think once
I read them.


Anyone else know of more mystery novels with a genealogy
twist?

5 comments:

Janice said...

#17 Use for a Flutaphone--Car Buddy: it easily slips over your car antenna (you ARE still driving the vehicle you bought in 1960 right?) and helps you to locate your vintage auto in the research library parking lot (when you leave the library all bleary-eyed).

Janice

Anonymous said...

Bill, A Google Book search shows some interesting titles (note I haven't read any of these!) that may or may not indicate a genealogy mystery. From the modern to the ancient here are a few:

Death by Fire: An Uncle George Mystery Novel by Hugh Pentecost

Murder Out of Wedlock: A Julian Quist Mystery Novel by Hugh Pentecost

Kirsteen: The Story of a Scotch Family Seventy Years Ago by Oliphant (Margaret) 1890

Widow Cherry: Or, The Mystery of Roaring Meg. by Benjamin Leopold Farjeon. 1878.

A Mystery of New Orleans: Solved by New Methods by William Henry Holcombe. 1890.

Her father's name: A Novel by Florence Marryat. 1876.

ANON

Lori Thornton said...

My favorite genealogy mystery series is by Rett MacPherson. There are probably 7 or 8 titles in the series now. Torie O'Shea is a great sleuth.

There is a pretty good thread here: http://blogs.ancestry.com/circle/?p=224&o_iid=23560&o_lid=23560&o_it=21416

There's a list of genealogy in fiction books at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jkidd/fiction.htm

Janice said...

If you like blog novels with a genealogy twist, Look at Harry McFry.

Janice

TK said...

In 1989, Ancestry published Killing Cousins by Gene Stratton. I enjoyed that one as I recall, and Amazon has several copies available for less than a buck.