Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: WHERE WERE THEY 150 YEARS AGO?

I'm late(yet again) on last Saturday's "Saturday Night Genealogy Fun" prompt
from Randy Seaver  over at Genea-Musings.   I'll explain why below. But first,
here's this week's prompt:
 
"Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1)  Determine where your ancestral families were on 1 September 1863 - 150 years ago.

2)  List your ancestors, their family members, their birth and death years, and their residence location (as close as possible).  Do you have a photograph of their residence from about that time, and does the residence still exist?

3)  Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status or Google+ Stream post."


Now for that explanation on why I'm late(again).The thing is that I have some
information gaps for the generations living in September 1863.

On my Mom's side of the family, most of my ancestors were still living in Ireland,
Scotland, or Germany, and I have no record of where they were or might have been
in 1863. I haven't found much yet on my 2x great grandparents who were in this country, Patrick J White (1848- 1902) & Mary (Powers) White (1848-?) and their parents.
Part of the problem is the commonality of the Irish family names in a period
when Massachusetts was seeing a great influx of Irish immigrants.

Even on my Dad's side with all his family living in Maine and New Hampshire
there are a few missing a date of death, so I don't know if they were even alive
in 1863. In those cases I've left their names off this post. On the other hand, I
may have found evidence on the 1860 Census that my 2x great grandmother
Louisa A Richardson was working in a textile mill in Massachusetts in the years
before she married the widowed Jonathan Phelps West in 1865.

Anyway, here's what information I was able to find on the paternal side of my
family:

My 3x great grandmother Arvilla (Ames)West (1810-1907) was  a widow of one year,
her husband John Cutter West having died in 1862. She was living on the farm in
Upton, Maine with her son, my 2x great grandfather Jonathan Phelps West (1834-1917) who was also mourning the death of a spouse, his first wife Orpha (Reynolds)West, who'd died in the diphtheria epidemic of 1862 after only a few months of marriage.

My 2x great grandmother Louisa A Richardson(1837-1925)  may have been working
in a mill in Lowell, Ma.

My 2x great grandparents Asa F Ellingwood (1828-1921) and Florilla (Dunham) Ellingwood  (1832-1917)were living on a farm in Dummer, Coos, NH.

My 3x great grandparents Nathaniel Barker(1794-1884) & Huldah (Hastings) Barker (1798-1884) were living  on a farm in Albany, Oxford, Me. My 2x great grandparents Nathaniel S. Barker(1830-1884) & Lucy (Coburn)Barker(1842-1904) were living with them. My 3x great grandparents Amos Hastings Barker (1828-1907) & Betsy J(Moore)Barker (1842-1924) were also living in Albany, Oxford, Me on another farm.

3x great grandmother Hannah (Upton)Moore Emery (1814-1896) was also living on a farm in Albany, Upton, Me with her second husband, Peter Emery.

No comments: