Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

THE "WHEN I WAS YOUNG" GENEA-MEME, PART 1

I wanted to do this Saturday Night Genea-Fun Challenge from Randy Seaver of
Genea-Musings but wanted to finish up my blogposts on Thomas Tuck first. So
here it is now. (Better late than never!) The rules for the Challenge were:

 
 1)  Geneablogger Alona Tester has devised a new meme called the "When I Was Young" genea-meme on her blog, LoneTester HQ.

2)  Since the genea-meme is 25 questions, let's do them five at a time.  This week, answer questions 1 to 5.

3)  Share your answers on your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a Facebook post or a Google+ post.


Here's my answers:

1.Do you (or your parents) have any memorabilia from when you were a baby? (ie. baby book, lock of hair, first shoes etc.)
I have knife from a silverware set my godmother Nancy gave me, I also have a sketch a
friend of my parents did of me,




and telegrams my Dad, grandmother, and Uncle Ed sent my Mom in the hospital after I was
born. I think they came with flowers:    




2. Do you know if you were named after anyone?
Nope, I was the first William that I know of in my Dad's family. 

3. And do you know of any other names your parents might have named you?
My parents were originally going to name me Michael after one of my Mom's uncles.
I don't know why they changed their minds.

4. What is your earliest memory?
 All my earliest memories involve my maternal grandmother Agnes (McFarland) White who
watched me while my folks were at work. One involves her cleaning the goldfish bowl and
accidentally losing the goldfish down the drain of the sink. The other one is of a roofer falling
off the roof of our house and Nana telling me not to look out the window.

5. Did your parent/s (or older siblings) read, sing or tell stories to you? Do you remember any of these?
 My grandmother and mother sang  "Pony Boy" and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider" to me, and probably played "Patty Cake" with me. Mom liked to sing so there were probably other songs as well that I can't recall from that far back. And I remember someone reading "Doctor Dan the BandAid Man".
   
 

2 comments:

Alona Tester said...

Hi Bill, thanks for taking part in my geneameme. It's a nice way to record some memories, without it being overwheming.

As for your earliest memories (the goldfish and the tiler), I can understand why both of those would stick in your mind ... memorable indeed.

Sharon said...

I could just imagine the goldfish going down the drain.......and thought of Nemo!

I can understand why you weren't allowed to look out the window!