Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2015 WEEK 36: JOHN WRIGHT JR OF WOBURN, MA. PT2


Middlesex County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1648-1871.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (From records supplied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives.) Volume: Middlesex Cases 24000-25999, Page(s): 25695:2


I found my ancestor John Wright's Probate file over at the AmericanAncestors.org
website. Although it was filed in1714, John had written his will thirteen years earlier on
24May 1701. He was around 70 years old at that time and must have decided it was time to
get his affairs in order. He made Josiah, his youngest living son, the executor of the estate
and had this to say about the three older surviving sons:


"I have given unto my sons John Wright Junr, Joseph Wright &
Ebenezer Wright all three of them liveing in Chelmsford in
the above county, inheritances of lands, and deeds of gift
thereof, undr my hand and Seale, as also som personall estate Each
and Every of them I have given them, and left them in the pos
-session thereof ye  which my will is they shall Each and Every of
them Enjoye for Evere. the which shall be their Respective
portions of my Estate, in full, only as a further token of my
love I do give to Each and Every of them five shilings apiece,..."



One of the little things I noticed was how he says "Each & Every" where today we say "Each and
every one". I am descended from son Joseph.

John also made provisions for his wife Abigail (Warren) Wright and their youngest daughter Lydia,
who he gave extra to because he felt she would be the one most likely caring for her mother in
Abigail's old age.

Here's the image for the estate inventory, submitted in June 1714.



Middlesex County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1648-1871.Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (From records supplied by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Archives.) Volume: Middlesex Cases 24000-25999, Page(s): 25695:5

So my 8x great grandfather John Wright left an estate of 240 pounds and lived to a ripe old age for colonial times.

I'll discuss Abigail Warren's parents next.

1 comment:

Celia Lewis said...

I'm always impressed at seeing old wills and paperwork, from such an early time. And so legible!! Very nice handwriting. I've noticed the "Each and Every" phrase before, and found I automatically added "one" after it in my head.
Very cool information put in this will.