Pages

Monday, September 05, 2016

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2016 WEEK 30: JOHN MOORE JR OF SUDBURY AND LANCASTER MA. PT6

Some  final thoughts on the Probate File of my 8x great grandfather John Moore Jr:

- I've found the identity of the wife named Mary in the file. Here is an entry in the Lancaster, Ma. Marriages on the  Early Vital Records of MassachusettsFrom 1600 to 1850 website:
"John Moor & Mary Whitcomb, both of Lancaster,  were Marryed, August 23, 1683. "
This might be why one of the members of the Committee was David Whitcomb.

-I need to look up the record of John's purchase of the fatm from Richard West (no relation to me)

-John's daughter Lydia is my 7x great grandmother through her marriage to John Wetherbee, but she is referred to as "Lydia Winch" in the probate file. This led to the discovery that Lydia had married a second time after the death of her first husband. Frustratingly, every reference I've found online to this marriage doesn't give Mr. Winch's first name.

-Finally, the members of the committee that decided how to divide the land between John Moore Jr.'s  are also relared to me. Ephraim Wilder, John Houghton and Jonas Houghton are my cousins, and David Whitcomb is my 8x great grandfather.

I'll be moving on to John Moore 3rd in my next post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.   

No comments: