Pages

Monday, October 22, 2007

BLOGGING BRUNCH8

After having spent several hours in hunting for my lost wallet(I
found it, btw) I sat down here with a cup of coffee and calmed
down by browsing genealogy blogs.


First off, I have been remiss in not mentioning that the 34th
Carnival of Genealogy is out and once again Jasia’s call for articles
resulted in great reading. There are the usual fine contributors
but there are also some new names. Thomas Wheatley’s list of
superstitions at Family History Quick Start made me think of
some I recall from my mom’s Irish family. Bob Frank’s
memories of his childhood Halloweens at the Itawamba History
Review made me grin. In fact, there’s a whole slew of posts on
that subject that brought back some memories of my own and
I’ll try to post about them soon. A lot of good reading
as always and if you haven’t read the CoG before, you should!

Other interesting new posts this morning included Tim Abbott’s
at “Walking the Berkshires” concerning an Abbot(t) relative’s
ties to Roger’s Rangers from the French and Indian War. And
isn’t it a great time to be a sports fan in New England, Tim?


Terry Thornton over at "Hill Country of Monroe County,
Mississippi”
posted a picture of a friend's grandmother and a
sailor in Smithville, Mississippi 1943 and another of World War
II sugar ration coupons and adds some of his memories of the
time.


Finally, there’s posts at various blogs about the new ties between
A*******.com and the NEHGS. Since I can’t afford the World
Deluxe membership in the first place, the news really doesn’t
effect me. If I can find the money in my budget at some point I’ll
join the NEHGS again at the most affordable membership level
but that’s not likely to happen until next year.

4 comments:

Terry Thornton said...

Bill, Thanks for the mention --- but I must correct a problem. The lady in the picture is not my grandmother nor am I kin to the sailor! My sloppy writing and even worse editing combined with a bad post title to confuse us all! Sorry I caused such a case of misidentification!
Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County, mississippi

Bill West said...

My fault that I didn't catch my
error before I posted.

I've corrected it and thanks for
catching it,Terry!

GreenmanTim said...

A great time, indeed. Now given that you have some of the uncles of our Rogers Ranger relative in your tree he's going to end up being one of those 1st cousins six or so times removed for you while 7th great uncle to me.

And assuredly a Red Sox fan along with the rest of us were he alive today.

Bill West said...

Wow. I hadn't thought about that
part of it yet!