Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

THE VALORA ABBOTT CONNECTIONS

I mentioned in the last post possible connections between Leonidas
West's wife Valora Abbott and other lines in my family tree. Whenever
I run across anyone with the name Abbott in my research I check
to see if they share my descent from George Abbott (1615-1681)and
Hannah Chandler (1630-1711) of Andover, Ma. Valora's father Otis
Howe Abbott was born in Andover but from everything I've found so
far he was not decended from George but from Thomas Abbott from
a different Abbott family. But there are other connections between
myself and Valora Abbott.

Her 2x great-grandfather John Abbott was married to Hannah Farnum
(Farnham), daughter of Jonathan Farnum and Elizabeth Barker. Through
them Valora shares my descent from Ralph Farnham and Richard Barker,
both of Andover. Ma.

Valora's mother was Sarah Merrill Emery and through her we share
descent from John Emery and Thomas Colby.

I'm not sure what degree of separation there is between myself and
Valora yet. I haven't entered all this into PAF or RM4 yet to calculate it.
What struck me is that all these connections came through my grandmother
Cora Berthella Barker's line, so even before she married my grandfather
Floyd E. West Sr there were remote family ties between them!

2 comments:

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Did I ever tell you I descend from William Chandler and Annis Bayford, too? Through the son John who married Elizabeth Douglas. John Emery and Agnes Northend, too. It's like opening a can of worms, to look into a colonial New England ancestry...

Bill West said...

But a fun can of worms, isn't it?