Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

THE FAMILY OF JOHN WESLEY ELLINGWOOD

Back in October when Ancestry.com had it's anniversary it made fifteen
different databases free over the first fifteen days of the month. Since I
already have a U.S. Database membership, I was more interested in
which foreign databases they might make available. The one that I
jumped on right away was church records from Quebec.

I have some relatives who moved to Canada back in colonial times,
Coburns and Ellingwoods. But I recently discovered another more
recent group of Ellingwoods who moved north of the border during
the mid-nineteenth century. They were the children of John Wesley
Ellingwood, the older brother of my 2x great grandfather Asa Freeman.
Ellingwood. John W. married Mariah Flint and had nine children. During
he course of their lives they lived in New Hampshire, New York, Canada
and finally in California. Two of their sons, Enoch Merrill Ellingwood
and Oscar Phipps Ellingwood raised families in Canada and one daughter,
Rachel died there.

It'll take a few posts to tell the whole story. For now, here's one of the
images I found on Ancestry.com back in October, the record of
Enoch Merrill Ellingwood's death and burial in Hereford, Quebec,
Canada:

No comments: