Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

FOREFATHERS MONUMENT PLYMOUTH, MA.

As I was leaving Plymouth after my visit to the Harlow Old Fort House, I
noticed a sign on a street corner that said "Forefathers' Monument". I'd
never heard of it so I decided to take a look. Besides, the street was
named Allerton St. How could I not drive up a street named after an
ancestor?



The National Monument to the Forefathers is situated at the top of a
hill and stands eighty-one feet tall. It was completed in 1888. When I
visited it mid-Thursday afternoon, I was the only one there. It's a shame
it doesn't draw more people because it's a beautiful piece of work.



















2 comments:

mdingrimsby said...

Hi Bill. It's interesting you should blog about this today. I just heard a piece about it on a radio show. Someone discovered it randomly, as it seems you did. I thought the pieces was fascinating and your pictures just make me more eager to some day visit New England!

Susi's Quarter said...

Cousin Bill WEST , thanks for sharing this with me. I think it is pretty neat and if I get to Boston I want to see it.

Thanks very much for sharing. SusiCP@cox.net