Pages

Monday, September 02, 2013

SATURDAY NIGHT GENEALOGY FUN: THE BLOGGERS GENEAMEME


I'm a day late for this week's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun from
Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings but I'm taking a shot at it
anyway.

Here's this week's Challenge:

1) Read Jill Ball's post The Bloggers GeneaMeme on her Geniaus blog.


2)  Copy the questions into your own blog post, or into a word processing document, and answer the questions.

3)  Write your own blog post with the questions and answers.  Be sure to share a link to your blog post with Jill and as a comment on this post

1.What are the titles and URLs of your genealogy blog/s?
    West in New England
    The Old Colony Graveyard Rabbit


2. Do you have a wonderful "Cousin Bait" blog story? A link to a previous blog post might answer this question.
Probably how my blog put me in touch with cousins from my maternal grandfather's
side of  my family. After my grandparents' divorce there had been no contact with them. 
I wrote about it in MEETING MY WHITE FAMILY COUSINS 

3. Why did you start blogging? Is there someone who inspired you to start blogging?
I started blogging after I'd discovered blogs by Christopher Dunham and Timothy
Abbott, who it turned out are my cousins. It dawned on me this might be a good way   to find more relatives and at the same time share the history of my family.  


4. How did you decide on your blog/s title/s?
Well, I had a last name that's a compass direction. West of New England was a
no-brainer. For the second blog, the area of Massachusetts is known as the Old Colony
so again, a no-brainer. 


5. Do you ever blog from mobile devices? What are they?
    No.

6. How do you let others know when you have published a new post?
    I post links on G+, Facebook, and Twitter.

7. How long have you been blogging?
    Since January of 2007.

8. What widgets or elements do you consider essential on a genealogy blog?
    Email moderation to cut down on spamming.

9. What is the purpose of your blog/s? Who is your intended audience?
    My purpose of West in New England is to tell the story of my ancestors
    and hopefully make contact with relatives.
     The Old colony Graveyard Rabbit blog's purpose is to showcase the cemeteries
   of Southeastern Massachusetts.


10. Which of your posts are you particularly proud of?
    Two from the first year. AGGIE, about my maternal grandmother and ORPHA,
    about my 2x great grandfather's first wife.


11. How do you keep up with your blog reading?
     The Old Reader

12. What platform do you use for publishing your blog/s?
     Blogger, with a mirror site at Wordpress.

13.What new features would you like to see in your blogging software?
     Can't think of any, but I'm not a techie.

14. Which of your posts has been the most popular with readers?
     A blogpost last year on the cancellation of "Who Do You Think You Are?"

15. Are you a sole blogger or do you contribute to a shared blog?
     I am The Lone Blogger.

16. How do you compose your blog posts?
     Verrrry slowly. Seriously, I write them first in Wordpad and then cut & paste
     them into Blogger.


17. Do you have any blogs that are not genealogy related? If you wish please share their titles and URLs.
     Yes, a blog about books, West of the Moon, but I haven't posted there much. 

18. Have you listed your blog/s at Geneabloggers?
     Yes.

19. Which resources have helped you with your blogging?
      GoogleBooks

20. What advice would you give to a new Geneablogger?
     Have fun with it, and keep at it. It's like riding a bike. The more you write,
     the easier it becomes to write.

1 comment:

GeniAus said...

Great to hear from you and hear a bit more about Dr Bill.

Thanks for your support of the geneameme.