Pages

Thursday, January 07, 2016

52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2016 WEEK 1: DAVID BUTTERFIELD OF CHELMSFORD, MA. PT2.

So who was the daughter whose name was omitted from George A Gordon's article on the Butterfields in The New England Historical and Genealogical Register ?  I decided to check the Chelmsford Births on the Early Vital Records of Massachusetts From 1600 to 1850 website and found that David and Keziah had three children more than the five Gordon had listed. The three additional children are in boldface:

Benjamin, Oct 17, 1732
Keziah, Feb 25, 1733-34 
Jane , Jan 9 1736-7
Esther, Nov 13, 1738
Joanna, Oct 6 1741
Susanna, bp. Nov 8 1741

Sarah, May 20 1744
Samuel, Dec 9 1748.

None of those three are named in David's probate file. Since I was looking for the daughter who married "Dennis Maclane" it had to be Joanna or Susanna. Next I checked the Marriages page and found this entry:

Joanna, and Dennis McLain, Dec 29, 1762

So why is Dennis "McLane" on George Gordon's list of the family but Joanna (Butterfield) "McLane"
is not?

Looking at Gordon's entry for David Butterfield's family again, I decided he was using the probate file as his source of information. I took a closer look at the images in the file.

And that's where I think I found an answer to my question.

To be continued. 

1 comment:

FranE said...

Good Sleuthing!