Pages

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

DIVING INTO THE GENE POOL PT5: MILD FRUSTATIONS AND COPING WITH CENTIMORGANS

It's been a few months since I last posted about  my DNA test results. After the exciting start,
things have settled down a bit as I grapple with some slight frustrations and with technical things about DNA that are way above my head. Here's where matters stand right now.

The numbers on my Ancestry DNA test matches:
103 shared ancestor hints, the closest beng 4th cousins.
498 4th cousins or closer. Of these, 4 are 2nd cousins and 11 are 3rd cousins.
Factoring in 5th to 8th cousins I have 22,400 matchs, up from the 19,300 original test results.

I've started keeping a notebook with info on the matches but it's in fits and starts. I still don't get
the centimorgans thing completely, the time I spend going round and round about it is time taken away from researching and writing about my ancestors.

Another frustration are the DNA Circles which go up and down. I've had as high as 15 circles but that dropped down to 12 last week and I don't know why.  The circle for 3x great grandfather Nathaniel Barker is still there but the circls for his father and brother are now gone. 3x ggf Phillip Richardson's circle is gone as well but his wife Esther Laughton's isn't.

I still haven't gotten replies from the emails I sent my 2nd cousins from Mom's White family.

Ancestry sent me an email  last week about a breakthrough and it turned out to be for a cousin who contacted me on our match back in August.

On another front, I uploaded my Ancestry Autosomnal Test result to Gedmatch. I have at least 2000 matches there. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the centimorgan thing there.





  

1 comment:

jade said...

What's throwing you off about the centimorgans? Maybe I can try to help. This is one of my favorite resources for explaining centimorgans, hopefully this helps a little bit, too:
https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_statistics

As far as the DNA Circles, those fluctuate with changes in the database, including when other members change their trees (making trees private, changes to the people in their trees, etc.); as well as if a member suddenly becomes a non-subscribing member.